JTI’s International Department can arrange temporary accommodation for you when you first arrive in Australia. If you require this service, you should email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with a heading ’Accommodation Required’. You should request this service as far ahead of your arrival date as possible. This accommodation will be for a maximum of 2 weeks after which students should make their own accommodation arrangements or advise that they would like to extend the initial accommodation arrangements.

Temporary Accommodation

Hotels, Motels Guest Houses and Backpacker Hostels

Generally, the price you pay for accommodation will determine its quality. However it can be expensive to stay in a good quality motel or hotel for a long period of time.

Backpacker accommodation is relatively inexpensive but you may need to bring or buy your own bedding if you choose this option. Sleeping arrangements will vary according to how much you wish to spend and range from private rooms to dormitory style. You will share a bathroom, kitchen and laundry.

Homestay Accommodation

Another accommodation option popular with first arrivals is Homestay where an international student stays with an Australian host family for a weekly fee. JTI has signed an agreement with Australian Homestay Network (AHN) that organises this type of accommodation. If you would like Homestay accommodation, please click here to apply for an Education Provider login. If you enter the contact details of your institution they will then send you login instructions and our International Student Co-ordinator will liaise with AHN on your behalf.

Your Homestay service should include:

  • your own bedroom (with bed, desk, lamp and wardrobe)
  • two meals a day (breakfast and a cooked dinner)
  • electricity, gas and water bills
  • involvement in family activities
  • a written set of guidelines for both the host family and the student

Staying with Family and Friends

If you know someone in Australia, this is a great way to settle in to life here. Friends or family can provide advice, support and encouragement in your first days in Australia.

Permanent Accommodation

JTI can also provide referrals to a number of organisations that specialise in providing long-term accommodation placement services. For most students this will mean renting a house or apartment either alone or sharing with other people.

Note: JTI does not accept any payments for accommodation or associated services, as these arrangements are between you and the accommodation services provider. JTI is not responsible or liable for accommodation-related services provided by external organisations.

Choosing Where to Live

Most students want to live within walking distance of the campus but this is not always possible and is usually determined by availability and cost. Often it is more convenient and more cost-effective to live a bit further from the campus but closer to shops and public transport.

Share Accommodation

Students often join together to rent a flat or a house. Accommodation rented this way is generally not furnished. You will usually need to sign a lease for 6 or 12 months, and organise to connect utilities (gas, water, electricity) yourself. You may also join an existing share household. Cost can range from $70 to $250 per week, per person. It is not practical to arrange share accommodation before you arrive as you will need to get to know the people you intend living with.

Where to look for accommodation

The following is a list of places where you can go to find advertisements for accommodation:

  • Student noticeboards around JTI
  • Community noticeboards (usually in shopping centres)
  • Newspaper classifieds - properties for rent / to share
  • A variety of web sites (JTI International can offer suggestions)
  • Real Estate Agents – properties for rent

Security Deposits (Bond) for Rented Accommodation

A landlord (property owner) or their real estate agent will ask you for a security deposit or bond. The bond is usually set at four weeks’ rent. In addition you will pay rent in advance – usually fortnightly (2 weeks) or monthly. The bond and one period of rent in advance must be paid when you sign the lease before you move in to your rented accommodation.

The bond guarantees that the tenant (the person renting) will care for the dwelling. If the tenant damages the property or neglects to clean it before leaving, the landlord has a legal right to keep all or part of the security deposit to cover any costs associated with repairing damage or cleaning the property. Otherwise, the landlord must return the security deposit in full within a month after the tenant leaves.

Accommodation Cost*

  • Hostels and Guesthouses: $80 - $135 per week
  • Homestay: $110 - $270 per week
  • Shared Rental: $70 - $250 per week
  • Single (living alone) Rental: $150 - $400+ per week

* Costs are approximate as they will vary greatly depending on where you choose to live.

Join the mailing list

Get in touch with us